With Thanksgiving just around the corner we thought we would share some delicious holiday recipes, but with a healthier doTERRA twist. The first recipe is a Sweet Potato Casserole with pecan topping and spiced with doTERRA Cinnamon essential oil. This side dish is sweet, creamy, and highlights many fabulous fall flavors.
Most holiday meals leave us feeling sluggish and maybe a little guilty, but there is a silver lining to this tasty Thanksgiving treat. Check out some of the health benefits that this casserole contains:
Sweet Potatoes: Though they are “sweet,” these vegetables still offer plenty of nutrients. Due to a low glycemic index, sweet potatoes can be helpful in maintaining energy and controlling blood sugar, which is helpful for everyone, especially those with diabetes.
Orange: The fiber, potassium, and vitamin C in oranges help support heart health. Increasing potassium intake can help reduce the risk of heart disease.
Nutmeg: Nutmeg can act as a sedative, and helps with inflammation, muscle pain, arthritis, and more.
Sweet Potato Casserole with Cinnamon Essential Oil
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
4 cooked sweet potatoes, peeled
3/4 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 orange, juiced
Salt and pepper to taste
4 drops Cinnamon essential oil
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 drops Cinnamon essential oil
- Place cooked sweet potatoes, coconut milk, coconut oil, maple syrup, nutmeg, orange juice, and Cinnamon essential oil into a large bowl.
- With a hand mixer, blend until everything is combined. If desired, you can add more maple syrup or essential oil.
- Spread into an oven-safe dish and set aside.
- Combine all topping ingredients until pecans are well coated. Sprinkle on top of sweet potatoes.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes, or until pecans have slightly browned. Serve warm.
Tip: For additional deliciousness, drizzle maple syrup on top.