With the warmer weather quickly approaching, a healthy grilled meal could be exactly what you need to get in the spring mood. These delicious and easy black bean burgers with essential oils are sure to be loved by everyone in your family.
Burgers aren’t exactly known for their health benefits, however, this recipe trades some of the traditional burger ingredients for some healthier options.
Black Beans: The fiber in black beans can be helpful for supporting heart health and decreasing the risk of heart disease.
Yellow Onion: Onions have blood sugar-modifying properties that can be helpful for fighting against type 2 diabetes and obesity.
Bell Pepper: Peppers contain an antioxidant, called Lycopene, which might prevent certain types of cancer, particularly prostate cancer.
2 garlic cloves
2 cans or 3 cups cooked black beans (drained and divided)
1/4 cup red bell pepper
1/2 cup yellow onion
2 drops doTERRA Cilantro essential oil
2 drops doTERRA Basil essential oil
1 egg (or vegan substitute egg, 1/8 cup applesauce, or 1 avocado)
1 cup bread crumbs
Pink Himalayan salt and black ground pepper
- Rinse and drain beans.
- Put 1/2 of rinsed beans (1.5 cups), yellow onion, garlic, red bell pepper, Cilantro and Basil essential oil, egg substitute, bread crumbs, and salt and pepper into food processor or blender. Process until smooth.
- Combine with remaining black beans and stir. If mixture is too sticky, add more bread crumbs until it holds together.
- Divide into 4 patties.
- Heat skillet/grill on medium heat. Add olive oil.
- Heat burgers 6 minutes on each side. Be careful when flipping burgers as they are very delicate.
- Once burger is cooked, place patty on bottom bun, top with lettuce, tomatoes, and desired condiments.
For a delicious side dish, broil some asparagus with a little bit of olive oil, salt, and dōTERRA Lemon essential oil.